Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Krampus Is Coming!

.
My son Sean warns me against filling the blog with "Web pasta." But, what the heck, it's Christmas Eve! Did you know that Santa Claus has an evil counterpart named Krampus? And that where Santa comes to give good boys and girls presents, Krampus comes to punish the wicked with beatings?

Even worse, while there's only one Santa, Krampus comes in herds! As witness the following documentary footage:




Of course, if you've been good, there's nothing to be concerned about. But, knowing you as I do, I have to worry.

Well, we'll know tonight. In the meantime, we might as well enjoy a jolly Krampus carol:




(My thanks to Gardner Dozois for the links!)


And on Friday . . .

. . . the winner of this year's Godless Atheist Christmas Card competition. Don't miss it!

*

1 comment:

JJM said...

A less benign version of Zwarte Piet (Black Peter), Sinterklaas's servant. Trust me, little Dutch kids have a healthy respect for (read: fear of) Sinterklaas ... at least, they did when I was a child. Getting coal in one's stocking (or, in Holland, willow twigs in one's shoe) is bad enough, but being stuffed into Zwarte Piet's bag and taken back to Spain, now that was a threat!

Wikipedia has a nice article on Sinterklaas.